Counsellor FAQs

How do I become a counsellor?

Visit your school counsellor and ask for an application form. Email the completed form to You will be contacted about attending a training weekend. If your counsellor doesn't have an application form, please email us your counsellor's name and your school and we will send them one.

I go to a high school outside of North Vancouver. Can I still become a counsellor?

Yes. While the property is owned by the North Vancouver School District, counsellors come from all over the lower mainland.

How do I book a counselling week?

Email to book a counselling week. Please state your name, grade and school in your email and the week you would like to come up. We'd love to hear from you!

Can I counsel with friends?

Yes. Many people come up to counsel with friends, though it is unlikely that you will be in the same cabin or field study. We try to group counsellors from different schools together, so you can make new friends and to help create a team atmosphere. We often limit the number of students from one school for this same reason. We've found that when large groups of friends come up together, it negatively impacts the team and other counsellors may feel excluded.

When are the training weekends held?

We have three or four training weekends throughout the year (usually fall and spring). The dates will be posted on the counsellor application form.

Where do I find out more information about EOEL 10 course?

The Experiential Outdoor Environmental Leadership 10 course is a four-credit distributed learning course open to all secondary students in the North Vancouver School District. For more information, please visit North Vancouver School District: Distributed Learning School website

I used to be a counsellor in high school. Now I'm in university. Can I still counsel at Outdoor School?

Yes! We rely on experienced alumni to counsel alongside our high school counsellors. If you haven't counselled in a few years, we may request that you retrain. If you are 19 and over, you will need to get a criminal record check done. Please email or call 604-898-5422 ext 222 for more information.